Posted November 13, 2018 09:51:00 Arizona Gov.
Doug Ducey on Wednesday said the time to fix the state’s broken immigration system would be before the 2020 election, days after a federal judge blocked President Donald Trump’s plan to withhold funding to the state.
The president’s executive order on immigration last week threatened to withhold $1.9 billion in federal funding, as well as nearly $1 billion in state and local aid, unless Arizona provided a timeline for the deportation of about 8,000 immigrants in the state who were brought to the United States as children and do not have legal status.
The order, issued just before the president’s deadline for providing a plan to Congress, said states would be required to provide a plan within 30 days of the date of the order, which was Monday.
It was the second time Duceys decision was overshadowed by the federal court ruling, after the governor and legislative leaders in May called for the end of sanctuary cities and counties, which provide sanctuary to immigrants who were detained for violating immigration laws.
Ducey, who has faced pressure from his Republican base to support the plan, said the order could be halted without further delay by the courts.
“We’re not going to allow people to be arrested, deported, or removed without the proper legal documentation,” Duceies spokesman David Hensley said.DICE, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, issued a statement after the ruling that it has “received no notification from the Department of Justice that the executive order is in effect.”DICE also noted that it “has not seen the executive orders guidance” in the executive summary of the federal order.
The Phoenix area has the second highest number of unauthorized immigrants in Arizona after San Francisco, which has more than 17,000.
More than 4,200 people have been arrested and convicted in the city since March 2018.
The city’s population is roughly 11,500, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said Duceyns statement “should be a wake-up call for all Arizona citizens, including myself, to act before it’s too late.”
The mayor said his city is already facing a shortage of public transit and a shortage in affordable housing.
Dire consequences of the president leaving the door open to sanctuary cities were raised by some in Phoenix, as the governor has pledged to fight the city’s sanctuary status.
In his statement Wednesday, Duceyan also noted the federal judge’s order in its entirety, but said that the city will have to comply with that order.DATE: November 13 ,2018 09:31:00President Donald Trump issued a revised executive order that called for ending sanctuary cities, or jurisdictions that do not cooperate with federal immigration enforcement.
Duceyders statement Tuesday, however, said that Arizona will be required by the court to comply.
DCEyS statement said that state and city officials must cooperate with ICE agents and comply with other immigration laws and guidelines.
DICE also said that Duceyys order would be effective immediately.DUE TO THE ORDER OF THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT OF THE ARIZONA, AND AS A LEGISLATIVE DEPUTY OF THE STATE OF ARIZONS LAND FOR THE PEOPLE, AS A STATE GOVERNOR, ON DECEMBER 11, 2018, AS THE STATE GOVEMENT OF THE PEOPLE OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, AS HEREIN PROVIDED, DATE: 11/12/2020 DATE OF FINDER: UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF MARYLAND DATE AUGUST 10, 2020